Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Julie Is Her Name



Nine years ago, a certain young homosexual with precocious musical tastes, fell under the spell of our birthday legend, Miss Julie Wilson (October 21, 1925). This is the fan letter he wrote the day after witnessing her practice her particular brand of witchcraft; it ran on the front page of her website for several years, and is still archived on the site. More remarkably, at 83, Wilson The Divine still looks and sounds marvelous, and the words he wrote nine years ago still hold true.

"How wonderful to find a site dedicated to a new favorite performer of mine, Julie Wilson. I was fleetingly acquainted with Ms. Wilson's art via some of her 1950's recordings, At the St. Regis and My Old Flame. However, I had yet to have the pleasure of hearing her present-day repertoire when I saw, a few weeks ago, that she was performing at the Oak Room of the Algonquin in a program of Cy Coleman songs. Why, I thought, not? I had always been curious about Ms. Wilson's highly touted skills, and counted Cy Coleman amongst my favorite composers, so reservations were hastily made, and I entered the Oak Room with a great sense of anticipation. 

Anticipation soon gave way to goggle-eyed admiration as Ms. Wilson wove a vocal spell that I had never experienced before. Drawing out the syllables on sexy, syncopated numbers like "I've Got Your Number" in a hair-raisingly alluring fashion; or displaying the most naked emotion of "Would You Believe"; or demonstrating keen, razor-sharp comic timing on "Do Be a Darling," Ms. Wilson brought me to a jolting, jarring realization: I had grown accustomed to seeing merely professional singers go through the motions, sometimes quite pleasingly. Tonight, I was witnessing a legend.

Moreover, I was watching a legend at work, continuing to perfect a seemingly-already perfect craft. That Ms. Wilson sounds as good as she sounds, looks as stunning as she looks, and refuses to, as many performers of her experience do, rely on a tried-and-true repertoire of "greatest hits" year after year, performance after performance, makes me all the more respectful of this remarkable lady's talent and grace.

I am 23 years old, and have a broad spectrum of tastes in music. However, my love for the timeless melodies and lyrics of the Masters is unwavering, and has grown with time, education and exposure. Now, I also have a definitive interpreter to turn to. Thank you, Ms. Wilson, for giving such exceptional voice to some of the wisest truths and loveliest sentiments ever written. Respectfully, a fan..."


Julie continues to perform occasionally at The Metropolitan Room here in NYC, and you can often see her in the audience enjoying the performances of others -- always impeccably dressed in a stylish black pantsuit and a fabulous hat. Happy Birthday, Julie Wilson! You are truly one of a kind, and we're privileged to have you among us.

No comments:

Post a Comment