Friday, October 31, 2008

Just a Quick Reminder...



...that Marilyn Maye is a saint, a goddess, and a force of nature. Going to one of her performances is better than drugs; we're still on a high from her phenomenal, 2 hour set at The Metropolitan Room tonight. She torched through "Lush Life" and "Something Cool"; roared through "Just for a Thrill" and "Mean to Me"; and wound everything up with a completely roof-raising "It's Today," and Chelsea is still reverberating from her seismic power.

We sat next to another legend,
Margaret Whiting, at dinner next door at Allegretti, and then again at the show; we met Maxene Andrews' (of The Andrews Sisters) absolutely charming and vivacious adopted daughter, Linda, in The Metropolitan's lobby; and we chatted with Lee Roy Reams about (what else?) cocktails.

We feel compelled to also inform you that we looked just smashing in our cream-colored silk velvet sport coat; baby blue shirt; pumpkin hand-woven wool tie; midnight blue trousers; oak colored cap-toe lace-ups; and mink scarf. Marilyn Maye deserves nothing less than our very best.

5 comments:

  1. I just love Marilyn Maye! I have practically worn out my record, “Meet the Marvelous Marilyn Maye.” If I lived in New York I think I would spend all of my free time tracking down such wonderful experiences as the ones you describe…Maxene Andrews…I’m so jealous.

    You know I included a fashion report of my Dolly experience ensemble just for you! Sorry I don’t have a picture of it. Thanks for including the description of yours…I feel as if I envisioned it perfectly. Très Chic. Fashion reportage of all future fabulous events is required from here forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AUGH - dammit TJB, you're living my life! It's not fair - an Andrews Sister!! on top of everything else.

    I miss New York, and New Yorkiness, and all things Gotham.

    On the other hand, I've spent the last two days at the beach (1/2 a block from the house) eating lobster, so things do balance out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to see Ms. Maye next weekend here in KC. Can I borrow the mink?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ayem8y -- What's so amazing is that, truly, MM sounds better NOW, in many ways, than she does on her old records. She had acres of technique back then, and still does, but now she also has amazing depth and heart. I really can't say enough about her. (And thanks for including the fashion report pour moi!)

    Muscato -- They do, indeed. I hope you had oodles of clarified butter to dunk all that succulent lobster in.

    Kansastock -- She's already seen it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Kansastock, I want a full report!

    ReplyDelete