Friday, September 11, 2009

We Remember

It's hard to believe that nearly a decade has passed since the events of September 11, 2001. So much of the past eight years is a blurred mass, yet we can remember nearly every minute of that day in precise order.

Actually, we remember the day before, too; September 10, 2001 had been one of the rainiest days of the year. A pelting, drenching monsoon-like downpour which put a damper on our plans for the evening, a cocktail party being held at Barneys for Italian Vogue. Catching a cab was out of the question, as was walking; and, of course, we wouldn't deign to arrive at such an affair by subway. So we sulked, and pouted, and we were sure that nothing worse could possibly happen in our lives.

How times would change in less than 24 hours.

Stirred, Straight Up, with a Twist is all about celebrating the fun and frivolity of life, which we feel is important, neccessary, even, to maintaining one's sanity (if you had any to begin with). What it isn't about is being vapid or oblivious (or obvious), and we hope that our "work" here draws that distinction; even when we're potentially dispensing advice on accessories. So, as we've said before, go forth and be fabulous - and always remember what's truly important in your lives. We love you!

6 comments:

  1. Truly a day of infamy, one that anyone who was an adult at the time will never forget. Those events may take the rest of our lives to truly assimilate. Sadly, many who are younger fail to grasp the significance of that fateful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right.

    And I love you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A day that changed us for ever! If anything I hope that we can remember with compassion, and not to judge others for the selfish actions of a few individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will never forget the visceral pain I felt watching the morning news. My parents were in British Columbia. They called me in Texas and woke me up, told me to watch the news. I saw the burning building, ran downstairs and called to my husband. I was hyperventilating...something I've never done before. We ran back upstairs and saw the plane...live. My eyes well up with tears writing this now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you too, cherub. And, as always, thank you.

    ReplyDelete